Miles of musings on the road to Marathon #8. Running, teaching, and bird sightings guaranteed.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Playing Possum

So, I always thought that a possum (or is that an opossum?) played possum by flipping onto its back and sticking its feet up in the air, eyes closed.
Well sorry to burst anyone's bubble who might also hold such an idea but that's just not the case as I learned firsthand today.
Do tell, do tell.

Well here I am innocently rambling along on a brisk but enjoyable 10mile jaunt around the neighborhood when what should cross the not un-busy street in front of my on a jaunt of it's own but an opossum. Well when I have encountered other charming woodland fauna on the roads such as skunks, squirrels, rabbits and deer I have been able to convince them that while a lesiurely pace may be quite suitable for the forest, it's lousy for crossing the road, and with a scuff of my foot against the pavement I've sent them scurrying on their way. (no, I did not kick them, I made a noise that spooked them out of the road). Well try this with a possum and what happens? It stops and plays possum! In the middle of the road! NOT A GOOD PLAN MR. POSSUM! But there it was standing still, playing possum the wrong way, no legs all sticking up in the air or anything!
So, I stood traffic guard until it decided to move on its merry way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home