Miles of musings on the road to Marathon #8. Running, teaching, and bird sightings guaranteed.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Don't Watch the Watch

Ok, I survived my 10miler. I think that I did more than survive I did pretty well. Not phenomenally well, not PR well, not even in good shape well but I ran smart and even.
I went out easy, ran with Jeff and hit our first 3 miles just at the 8min pace we wanted to. We let everyone run by us, not an easy task when you feel so good and you know you can keep up with the old running group for a few miles. But it paid off in the later hill miles not to be too tired. People that went too fast faded and were caught and that felt good. The miles rolled by the course is tought but scenic and my pace was even 8's all day long.
The magic of the 8's was that I didn't have a watch on. Even pace, no watch. I asked for splits from people at a couple spots but not every mile, and not in the last 4 at all.
I think that while I get back up to speed I'm leaving the watch off during races, I've got to run smart and not worry about running fast. You should try it.

The choice now is between the 1/2 marathon and the 8-miler, they're on the same day. I think it's going to be the 8miler and run there and run home making at least a 13 mile day of it, same as a half.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home