Miles of musings on the road to Marathon #8. Running, teaching, and bird sightings guaranteed.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Boston's coming!

Only runner's can speak of the Boston Marathon in one word, "Boston". It's the reverence given to the race by using the singular name that sets it apart. There's no other race with the cache, with the presence. Sure, other marathon's may be bigger in numbers but that's nothing.

I hope to be there at Boston this year, volunteering not running. I loved doing it last year and I can't wait to do it again. I have done 2 Boston's, both with BAA Charity club numbers. Those entries given to local running clubs that help put the event on. Our club sends some volunteers, it gets 10 bibs, we lottery them off, I won twice. Well never again with that I say. My 2 Boston's were in '01 and '03 so not that long ago. Well the first time the fee was $75 (at $3 a mile, a bargain!) the second time it was $95. Now it is $95 for qualified athletes and they upped the entry fee for club entries to $200!!! That's a) highway robbery, and b) Nearly $8 a mile!
( To be fair, the bulk of the $200 entries are not from running clubs but from charities and charity runners who have to raise some thousands of dollars for the chance to run boston)

Forget it, I'll wait to qualify to suffer thanks. In the meantime I'll volunteer and score one of the sweet volunteer jackets. (paid for with club numbers of course!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home